This is a winter tart that combines the classic flavors of roasted sweet potato and toasted marshmallow. The roasting of the sweet potatoes and addition of warm spices enhance this dessert, while the sweet toasted marshmallow ties it all together.
Sweet Potato Tart
Yield: 6 individual tarts, or double the filling to make 19 tarts
You will need 6 tart shells; baked until light golden brown
Sweet Potato Filling
1 ¼ cup roasted sweet potato puree (about 2-3 medium sweet potatoes)
2 ½ ounces butter; melted
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon nutmeg; grated
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To roast sweet potatoes, wash, dry and prick with a fork and roast uncovered in the oven at 350 degrees until soft; about 25-30 minutes.
- When done, cool and then peel off the skins.
- Puree sweet potatoes in food processor or pass through a food mill until very smooth.
- For the filling, combine the sweet potato puree with the butter, sugars and milk.
- Whisk in the egg and add the spices, salt and vanilla.
- Pass mixture through a strainer; this will ensure for a very smooth filling.
- Divide the filling among the blind-baked tart shells and bake at 325 degrees until the filling is puffed and set; about 15-18 minutes. Cool to room temperature and set aside.
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water
1 egg white; room temperature
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a small pot. Cook over medium heat until mixture reaches 110 degrees F.
- In the meantime, whip the egg white in mixer to medium-stiff peaks.
- When syrup is ready, very slowly pour it into the mixer while it is still whipping the egg white.
- Add vanilla and whip until stiff; about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe a neat circle or mound on top of each tart OR spoon the marshmallow cream onto each tart and spread with a small offset spatula.
- Torch the marshmallow until golden brown OR place tarts in oven under a broiler for about 1 minute, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or chill until use.