Pastry Lead Jaime, who works at our Culver City location, has shared his recipe for Blood Orange Meringue Bars. He chose this recipe because blood oranges are in season right now. We love their crimson color and sweet flavor. Jaime says that the white meringue reminds him of the winter season, and this dessert’s striking appearance makes it an appealing choice for our guests.
Blood Orange Meringue Bars
Yield: 1/4 sheet tray or 9”x13”pan
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup sugar
6 ounces (or 1 ½ sticks) butter; melted
¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl until combined.
- Press the crust into a sprayed ¼ sheet pan or 9”x13” pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 6-8 minutes; or until light golden brown.
- Cool and set aside.
4 Egg yolks
2 (14 oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 cup blood orange juice
2 teaspoon blood orange zest
- Whisk the egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk together in a bowl.
- Whisk in the blood orange juice and zest; stir until smooth.
- Strain the filling to remove the zest.
- P our the filling over the baked and cooled graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F until the filling is just set; about 12-15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until firm.
3 egg whites; room temperature
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
- In mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar together on high speed until very frothy.
- With the mixer still on high speed, slowly add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of it has been added to the egg whites.
- Whip until stiff, shiny peaks form; about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and mix briefly.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a small round or star tip.
To Assemble the Bars:
- Pipe rows or shells or any desired design on top of the chilled bars; completely covering the filling layer.
- Using a culinary torch, torch the top of the meringue until golden brown.
- Use a hot knife when cutting the bars so the meringue holds its shape. Cut into any desired amount.
- Serve immediately and chill any leftovers.