This dessert is an easy way to impress with an elegant look and simple ingredients. Our inspiration for this dessert came from the tart and sweet flavor of the grapefruit. This trifle features fruit from Marquez Family Farm, JJ’s Lone Daughter Ranch and Arnett Farms.
Grapefruit-Cara Cara Orange Trifle
Yield: 8 Rock Glasses
Grapefruit Cookie Crumble Ingredients:
4 ounces (or 1 stick) butter, softened
2.5 ounces granulated sugar
½ egg yolk
1 teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
⅛ teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, sugar and zest together until fluffy.
- Add yolk and mixed until combined.
- Add the flour, grapefruit juice and salt. Mix until combined.
- Press the dough into a sprayed 8”x8” square pan and chill for 15-20 minutes; or until firm.
- When firm, bake in a 325 degree oven for 12-15 minutes; or until golden brown around the edges.
Grapefruit-Cara Cara Curd Ingredients:
½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 cara cara orange
⅛ teaspoon salt
3 ounces butter; cold
- Over a double-boiler, combine the eggs, yolks, grapefruit juice, lemon juice and orange juice.
- Cook over medium, stirring constantly until thickened; about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the salt and butter until smooth.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small tip.
Mascarpone Cream Ingredients:
1 pound mascarpone
4.5 ounces sugar
½ cup heavy cream
1 vanilla bean; scraped
- Combined all ingredients and whisk until fluffy and smooth.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip.
To assemble the trifle:
- Crumble the grapefruit shortbread into medium-sized pieces.
- Place a layer of the shortbread crumbs in the bottom of each glass.
- Pipe a layer of the curd on top of the crumbs.
- Pipe a layer of the mascarpone cream on top of the curd layer.
- Repeat with another layer of crumbs, curd and cream.
- Top off each trifle with a few pieces of diced cara cara orange and grapefruit segments.
- Add a few crumbs on top to garnish.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving.
*If you don’t have piping bags, the components may be spooned into the glasses.